Chocolate…not for dogs

Cocker Spaniel

 

If you share your sweets and chocolate with your dog, you can hurt him a lot. Chocolate is toxic not only for dogs, but also for many other animals, because it contains theobromine and caffeine, which stimulates the nervous and cardiovascular systems.

People, often want the stimulating effect and that’s why we reach for chocolate. However, the human body metabolizes these substances much faster. In the case of dogs, it takes longer, so the effects are more pronounced.

If a dog eats too much caffeine and theobromine, it may have several dangerous symptoms, including diarrhea, vomiting, excessive puberty and agitation, muscle spasms, convulsions and dehydration. In extreme cases, the body temperature, respiratory failure, arrhythmia and even death may be significantly increased.

Labrador

How much chocolate can harm you?

It depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. It is assumed that 100 g of chocolate can cause serious problems in a Labrador-sized dog (about 27 kg). In the case of smaller dogs this dose is smaller. If a dog consumes a toxic dose of chocolate, it is best to immediately go to the vet for help, which will give your dog drugs to help remove dangerous substances from the body.